"Ain't Life Grand" by Kathy Hoynes 2004

"Ain't Life Grand" by Kathy Hoynes  2004

23 February 2007

Dee

Dee is my quiet greyhound. I have never heard him bark. He will lie on the bed, barely lifting an ear when the pack begins a roo. He’s a big red fawn brindle who measures in at 30 inches at the shoulder and has an impressive 24 inch tail. He likes to run but is a bit of a klutz and always comes in with a scrape or two. I wonder if it’s because he has a vision problem that requires daily medication. Dee knows how to sit and can give his paw – either right or left – if asked. He’s not what you’d call a “chick dog” but he follows me around and snuggles up to me whenever possible. He’s also very fond of my mom who is just crazy about him and is always giving him treats. Dee is a very social greyhound who will happily stand for hours when we’re out and about, which I find odd as he’s the ultimate sleeper at home. And for some reason when he sleeps, all 90 pounds of him likes to sleep on me. Dee has big sad looking brown eyes and an eyebrow that occasionally wrinkles giving him that quizzical cartoon dog expression.
My old friends will understand how emotionally difficult it was for me to get to know Dee. I may have subconsciously not wanted to get too close as in almost every way Dee reminded me of Winston and it hurt a lot even looking at him. I would often burst out crying just giving him his eye drops. But as time passed, I found that Dee helped me overcome my feelings of loss and allowed me to remember all the fun, silly and happy times. In the process, I found I had been given the gift of a truly beautiful greyhound who I came to know and love for who he is.

Dee is very special to me because he brings to mind wonderful memories. But Dee is very special to me because he is Dee and is giving me wonderful new memories.

Huey, my foster (left) and Dee (right) in my pen & ink drawing "Waiting".
Kathy

No comments: