"Ain't Life Grand" by Kathy Hoynes 2004

"Ain't Life Grand" by Kathy Hoynes  2004

05 November 2007

It was a dark and stormy night....

I attended the Arizona Adopt-A-Greyhound picnic on Saturday and as usual, it was a great day. I've met oodles of greyhound adopters since I've been out here but every now and then I get a knot in my stomach as none of these people will ever know the face that inspired every one of my t-shirt designs. True, I mention that the beautiful brindle on the pebble colour shirt is my first greyhound but it's not quite the same as when year after year friends would drop by my booth just to heap lots of love on my boy. His name was immediately recognized. He had an extended family who loved him as much as I did.


So as I vended at the AGGI picnic, you can imagine my shock when a voice called from the booth next to mine...

"I'd know that greyhound t-shirt anywhere. IT'S WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


And there stood my old friends Pam and Chuck from Illinois. I'd met them at one of my first shows when their group, Greyhound Angels in Disguise (aka Greyhound A.I.D.) allowed me to share booth space with them at a pet fair. Back then everything I sold came in beige and my entire "empire" fit in a 14"x14" box. I'd last seen them in 2004 and knew they were moving but had no idea they'd ended up in Arizona. It was hugs and happy tears and we caught up on what was we'd found life to be like in Arizona and told each other about the new greyhounds in our lives.


I suppose that it was a most perfect pre-reminder of the fact that today, is the 11th anniversary of the dark and stormy night that my lovely Winston arrived on my doorstep. He was just a young, shy brindle pup in a yellow collar who didn't quite know what to make of this strange blond who was grinning from ear to ear. And you know, he always kept me smiling.


And tonight, as I always do, I will say a silent goodnight to Winston and tap the tags on his collar that is above my bed before I go to sleep. I will remember all the wonderful adventures we had. And I will be forever thankful to him for the joy he gave me and for being the most perfect greyhound. And I know tomorrow when I have my morning romp around the yard with Scotty, Dee, Remy, Harley, Nutmeg, Beauty, Blueberry, Bobo and Huey, that Winston, and Marty too, will be watching from a place just beyond the fig tree.



Kathy

No comments: