"Ain't Life Grand" by Kathy Hoynes 2004

"Ain't Life Grand" by Kathy Hoynes  2004

08 July 2007

My week

It has been a difficult week. I can hardly believe Marty is gone, let alone for a full week. The house has been very quiet. No one has taken up Marty's job of starting a group roo. There are no thump-thumps of Marty's lopsided stride through the house. There is no woof to wake me up at 5am. Nor is there a woof to let me know I need to get breakfast ready. I have no one to give me stinky kisses on my cheek. There is no one to sit by my side for hours on end while I draw. But for all the things I miss, there are so many more wonderful things that I will always have in my heart, the best of which is simply having had Marty in my life.

The rest of the pups miss Marty as well. Some more obviously than others. The pack has begun to readjust and that's as it should be. They are proof that life must continue on. Maybe not exactly as before, but go on it must. There are others depending on me. And we will get through it together because we are a family and that's what families do.

There is a spot in the garden where I can think...about Marty...and Winston...and wonder what sort of adventures the 2 of them are having. I have been reminded that an "M" is just an upside down "W". And so on my heart I will carry my 2 special brindle boys.

Kathy

No comments: