"Ain't Life Grand" by Kathy Hoynes 2004

"Ain't Life Grand" by Kathy Hoynes  2004

21 July 2007

Healing a heart that aches

Upon the tragic death of his wife Clover, Henry Adams wrote to his publisher, "what a vast fraternity it is, - that of Hearts that Ache." With the passing of each greyhound I have known those words always come to mind. There is a part of me that will never get over Winston. There is a part of me that will never get over Marty. Yet unbeknownst to us, the heart coaxes a tiny bud to bloom and renew the bond that we thought was gone forever.

Marty's passing left a big hole in the heart of our family. I cannot put into words how much we miss his quiet (and not so quiet) woofs, his "Brighty of the Grand Canyon" ears and his gentle, loving soul. Marty was the old sage, knowing every greyhound who has passed through the house including the most recent foster Huey. You may recall that Huey has been "the greyhound who came to dinner" since November. There were no intentions to keep him. Yet a new family never materialized. The fit was never quite right. So Huey settled in, waiting for a forever home. I began to get worried as Huey quickly bonded with all of us and became my shadow. He would watch Scotty and try to mimic the things he saw. He'd see Bobo race around the yard and follow in hot pursuit. During the day Huey claimed the bed and matching pillows, made by my friend Elaine, and guarded my bookcase full of Russian and English history books. At night he'd snuggle in on one of the pillows at the foot of my bed. Every morning Huey would wait his turn as all the pups wished me good morning.

The bud was starting to open.

Huey was scheduled to have an "overnighter" with one of the adoption group volunteers who was going to take him to meet & greets on July 6 & 7. There were a few families who expressed interest and were coming to see Huey. I knew it had to be. Huey deserved a chance at a forever home.

And then Marty passed away.

It's funny how things are right in front of you all along. It seems that an average sized red brindle greyhound with a long, heart shaped white face and little tiny feet and funny looking ears and a skip-walk (due to an old injury to his back leg) had his life all figured out. After all, he already had Marty's approval. Huey just waited and let the rest of us catch up.

On July 2, 2007, I adopted my newest greyhound - Huey Lewis. Funny, I always thought if I had a rock star greyhound I'd name him after Bruce Springsteen who I have adored since I was 14. Oh well...maybe next time.

The bud was now in bloom.

I don't really think Huey has any clue to the change in his life although last Friday I did get him a brand new mallard blue collar. He continues to worship the ground I walk on and gets all wiggly when I come in the back door, whether I'm returning from a 3 hour shopping jaunt or just taking out the trash. He is still my shadow making sure he's at my side whenever I go into the yard. He enjoys sitting with his head in my lap as I draw. Huey has also enabled me to become a member of the "I Failed Fostering 101 Club". One the weather cools off, we'll start taking walks around the block and to the park and shops as he is very good on a leash.

I know my lovely Winston approves of the heir to his kingdom and that my lil' Martykins is happy to see the circle he started continue.

Please raise your water bowls and welcome Huey to his forever home. Sometimes the best gifts are the ones you never expected.


Kathy

No comments: