"Ain't Life Grand" by Kathy Hoynes 2004

"Ain't Life Grand" by Kathy Hoynes  2004

23 January 2008

An M is just an upsidedown W

Three years ago today, my lovely Winston left my side. I still miss him. Lots. Every day. He was my first greyhound. My universe. He was perfect. He made me look like a great "mom" but that's because he was so wonderful.

Early this morning I was doing some mindless walking and shopping. Mainly to get my mind off of the day. While shopping, I came across a funky bracelet made from vintage Bakelite mahjong tiles. As I love mahjong (OK, I'm addicted) I decided to take a closer look. One of the tiles on the bracelet was the 8 bamboo...which is 8 sticks forming the letter "W" with a mirror image forming the letter "M". The cosmic side of my brain decided that this was a good omen as not only was it a "W" for Winston, but also an "M" for my dear old boy Marty who passed away in July.

I've been wearing the bracelet all day. Maybe it does have some magic powers. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking. On what started as a sad day in my world, turned warm and soft, like a greyhound's ear and my heart was comforted because I truly believe both Winston & Marty found a special way to say hello today when I most needed it. But ya know, Winston always knew how to make me smile.

"You never know when you're making a memory.
They will wish they were here together again,
Someday..."
Young Blood - Rickie Lee Jones


Kathy

No comments: